Friday, January 30, 2009

What are you worth per hour?


What stands out on your resume when you offer the paper or send an email to a prospective employer.?
Is it your education?
Is it your experience?
Is it the length of time that you have been at a certain type of job?
Is it your ability to have that smile and transfer your skills in any situation?
Is it your ability to get along and be part of a team environment?
To answer that question I feel 'YES' to all of the above questions as all are important to the new employer.
I have offered my services and it has been my experience on two different websites is the value of you work and your experience.
Just as the old saying goes, "If you have no experience no one will hire you?" "Your frustrated to the fact , well if no one will hire me, How do I get the experience?"
Then there is a question "How Much is your work worth?" and second "What pay scale are you using to judge your pay per hour?"
The reason for these comments are first it depends on where you live and the second on the economy , as you are now competing globally for positions on the Internet.
I was totally taken aback and it made me shake my head on how people were lining up to work for two dollars an hour?
My first thought is why and what is the sense are you not worth more than that , does it not cost you more that price per hour to operate your computer?
It was brought to my attention that in many countries in the world $2.00 USA is considered an excellent wage. Their currency is just booted to the stars for that job per hour and makes a difference in their life. It then made me think and evaluate what my rate was per hour and found that $2.00 was a given rate for data entry skills.
I had a conversation with an elderly gentleman while I was his guest while he was going through the procedure of chemo therapy for advanced bone cancer. Here this gentleman was very cheerful and just sat back and did not complain in any way. He states I am just so happy I live in a country where this is offered to me free of charge and I am able to continue living in my own home at 95 years old.
We talked about prices of food and housing and wages and it was amazing on his points of view and reminded me of how fortunate we are in life. He states he remembers working a full day picking apples in an orchard as a boy of 16 and living on the farm during the depression. He would ride his bike several miles to the farm of a neighbour to help with chores. He says his pay would be $1 a day. The dollar would be given to parents to help keep the farm and buy groceries at the local store. He says he remembers taking a load of wheat to mill and to manually grind he wheat so that his Mother would have flour. What he does say he remembers that families helped each other through tough times and worked together.
His job after enlisting in what he says as the "War Effort" during the WW2 that he learned skills to be in the office and his job was government supply in the Ware house. He was responsible for locating and looking after a large inventory of items. He says with good will when items were short he was able to trade with other bases .
After the war he worked in financial services and worked until the age of 88 years old and "Says you know its with customer service that I supported my wife and family." I made a living even when times were tough, I made it my job to know my customer." " I would make sure I had something to offer when I went to visit a client often over the kitchen table" " A gift or incentive or discount would help in the transaction many times." " He says besides my charm , I knew my products and what a person could afford per month."
So today the world has not changed that much , the value of knowing your product and your customer will help you build your business even in these economic times.
Join me on face book on "Customer Service with a smile"http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694111046&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=60326179728
Join our Community and share your passions and visions with others http://www.busy-mom.com/
Check out the interesting questions on http://www.preciousbabysite.com/
Join us on twitter http://www.twitter.com/attnbusymoms
http://www.twitter.com/OurPreciousBaby
http://www.twitter.com/Avahosting

No comments: